Tsuga canadensis 'Moon Frost'
Also called Moon Frost Eastern Hemlock
More About Tsuga canadensis 'Moon Frost'
- Dwarf, broadly rounded form
- Soft, feathery foliage with creamy-white variegation
- New growth emerges white, the older needles retain a hint of white
- Blush-pink, winter colour
- Provides a brightly coloured, focal point in shady areas
- Low tolerance of dry or drought conditions
Bright white, new growth is unusual and eye-catching, looking like frost on a moonlit night. Inner foliage retains its light tone giving the plant an overall, whitish appearance.
Moon Frost Canadian Hemlock Growing and Maintenance Tips
To prevent foliage burn, Moon Frost hemlock plant in a location that provides shade from the hot, afternoon sun. This cultivar is quite intolerant of urban pollution, therefore, inner city or streetside plantings should be avoided. Protection (burlap wrap) from drying, winter winds is recommended in an exposed location.
Tsuga canadensis 'Moon Frost' Characteristics
Moist to Average