Thuja occidentalis 'Europe Gold'
Also called Europe Gold Arborvitae
More About Thuja occidentalis 'Europe Gold'
- Upright, narrow, conical to pyramidal habit similar to the emerald cedar
- Golden-green foliage grows densely in vertical sprays
- Foliage turns orange-yellow in the winter
- An excellent plant for screening in a protected area
- Low tolerance of dry or drought conditions
Deer find the soft, evergreen foliage very attractive for winter food and will rapidly strip a plant.
Europe Gold Cedar Growing and Maintenance Tips
Typically used as a specimen, this cedar also can be used in groupings for privacy screens. This cultivar is a good solution for landscapes where space is an issue, as it stays very narrow and compact. Europe Gold is also valued for its winter interest. Damage or stem breakage may occur in the winter from ice and snow accumulation. Protection (burlap wrap) from drying, winter winds is recommended in an exposed location.
Thuja occidentalis 'Europe Gold' Characteristics
Moist to Average
Moist to Wet Soils
Landscape usesFoundation planting