Sciadopitys verticillata 'Wintergreen'
Also called Wintergreen Koyamaki
More About Sciadopitys verticillata 'Wintergreen'
- Narrow, conical, densely branched conifer
- Dark green pine-like needle with a glossy appearance
- Needles are arranged in whorls on the branches
- Tufted needles form in an upward manner to look like a wind-distended umbrella skeleton
- Slow-growing cultivar, even under optimal conditions
- A distinctive and refined, pyramidal specimen with a tropical appearance
Wintergreen Japanese Umbrella Pine Growing and Maintenance Tips
A formal, conical evergreen, this pine requires almost no pruning to maintain its compact shape. Use in pairs to mark the entrance to decks, patios or gardens. Younger plants should be protected (burlap wrap) from extremely cold, drying, winter winds and excessive drought until well established (2-3 years min.). Plant in a rich, acidic soil.
Sciadopitys verticillata 'Wintergreen' Characteristics
Average to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Foliage ColorGreen (dark)
Landscape usesFoundation planting