More About Robinia pseudoacacia
- Broad, columnar with a narrow, oblong crown
- Pinnate, compound leaves are dark green in the summer, yellow in the fall
- Fragrant, wisteria-like, white flowers
- Flowers are followed by smooth, flat, purple-brown, seed pods
- Dark, gray-brown bark is deeply furrowed
- Bloom Time: May to June
The flowers are a nectar source for bees and yield a high-quality honey, which is gathered in Europe and North America. The fragrant flowers are also used in perfumery.
Black Locust Growing and Maintenance Tips
A good selection for locations which are susceptible to drought and where other trees will not grow well. Avoid pruning in the spring when the plant may "bleed" when cut.
Robinia pseudoacacia Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average
Average to Dry Soils
Flowering TimeLt. Spr-Sum