More About Rhus glabra
- Greenish-yellow, male and female flowers
- Clusters of reddish, hairy fruit ripen late summer and may persist into the winter
- Medium-green to dark green, soft leaves are sometimes glossy
- Fall colour is orange to red, sometimes purple
- Suckering profusely, it produces a mound of mostly vertical branches
- Bloom Time: June
Native to Ontario and most of North America.
Smooth Sumac Growing and Maintenance Tips
Rhus grows best in a slightly acidic, fertile soil and full sun, however, it will tolerate dry or compacted soils and other urban conditions.
Rhus glabra Characteristics
Native to Ontario
Average to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Landscape usesRoadside planting