More About Quercus velutina
- Globular, spreading crown
- Bark is almost black on mature trunks
- Leathery, shiny, dark green leaves are deeply incised
- Fall colour is yellow-brown to dull red
- Large crops of acorns appear every 2-3 years
The common name is in reference to the colour of the bark.
Black Oak Growing and Maintenance Tips
It may be difficult to transplant because of a deep taproot. The wood is hard, heavy and strong. Seldom used as a landscaping specimen, it is more suited to a woodland site.
Quercus velutina Characteristics