More About Quercus macrocarpa
- Pyramidal when young, maturing to a broad, spreading, rounded crown
- Twigs are sometimes ridged with corky "wings"
- Leaves are leathery, dark green, with deep, rounded lobes
- Insignificant flowers (catkins) are followed by oval acorns
- Fall colours are pale yellow to brown
Native to Ontario and parts of North America.
Burr Oak Growing and Maintenance Tips
A slow-growing, large, specimen, shade tree at maturity, this oak needs a large space in which to grow.
Quercus macrocarpa Characteristics
Native to Ontario
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average