Also called Cottonwood
More About Populus balsamifera
- Narrow, pyramidal crown with ascending branches
- Buds are sticky, resinous, and strongly aromatic
- Leaves are ovate, dark green on top, silver underneath
- Fall foliage is a bright yellow
- Hanging, long, pale yellow-green catkins appear mid-spring
Native to Ontario and parts of North America.
Balsam Poplar Growing and Maintenance Tips
A good, native selection for naturalizing or for park areas.
Populus balsamifera Characteristics
Native to Ontario
Moist to Average