Platycodon grandiflorus 'Sentimental Blue'
More About Platycodon grandiflorus 'Sentimental Blue'
- Compact, dwarf, clumping habit
- Bell-shaped flowers have five, pointed lobes
- Blue flowers form in small clusters
- Narrow, dark green leaves
- Plant is late to emerge in the spring
- Bloom Time: Early July to August
- Flower Height: 45 cm
- Foliage Height: 20 cm
- Flower Size: 6 cm
The common name "balloon flower" refers to the buds, which swell like balloons before opening.
Balloon Flower Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in an average to moist, well-drained soil, in full sun to partial shade. Not easily transplanted once established. It is late to emerge in spring, so it is important to mark the crown areas to avoid damage during early cultivation. Remove spent flowers to prolong bloom time or prune back after flowering to maintain shape.
Platycodon grandiflorus 'Sentimental Blue' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Spr-Sum