More About Pennisetum caudatum
- Forms a dense, mounding clump of deep green foliage
- Soft bottlebrush-like white flower spikes fade to tan as they age
- Slender flower stalks spray through the foliage in every direction
- Foliage turns a rich yellow in the fall
- Bloom Time: Summer to fall
- Flower Height: 125 cm
- Foliage Height: 100 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
White Flowering Fountain Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in a moist, well-drained soil, in full sun to light shade. If planted in too much shade this grass will not flourish and may not flower. Foliage should be cut back to about 10 cm in early spring to allow for new growth. Pennisetum can reseed in optimum conditions.
Pennisetum caudatum Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall
Foliage ColorGreen (dark)