Panicum virgatum 'Prairie Flame'
Also called Red Switch Grass
More About Panicum virgatum 'Prairie Flame'
- Forms a tight, upright clump of blue-green foliage
- Pinkish-red, airy, cloud-like panicles rise above the foliage
- Leaves turn a dark wine-red and burgundy as the summer progresses
- The foliage and flower turn beige-brown for the winter
- Bloom Time: Late summer to mid-fall
- Flower Height: 150 cm
- Foliage Height: 125 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Prairie Flame Switch Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
This grass grows in a wide variety of soil conditions from wet to average, and is drought tolerant, once established. Grows best in full sun and will flop over if grown in shade or overly rich soils. It should be pruned back to 10 cm above ground level in early spring.
Panicum virgatum 'Prairie Flame' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Landscape usesScreening (privacy)