Panicum virgatum 'Northwind'
Also called Upright Switch Grass
More About Panicum virgatum 'Northwind'
- Forms a tight, upright clump of gray-green foliage, becoming vase-shaped with age
- Flat, leaf blades are 30 cm long, branching almost vertically from upright stems
- Grass is topped with slender, green, airy, cloud-like panicles
- Leaves turn golden-yellow in the fall and tan throughout the winter
- A good, ornamental grass for a formal garden
- Bloom Time: Late summer to mid-fall
- Flower Height: 150 cm
- Foliage Height: 125 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Northwind Switch Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
This cultivar is one of the most drought-tolerant of the panicum. Grows best in full sun and will flop over if grown in shade or overly rich soils. It should be pruned back to 10 cm above ground level in early spring.
Panicum virgatum 'Northwind' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall
Landscape usesScreening (privacy)