Panicum virgatum 'Hot Rod'#PP26074
Also called Red Switch Grass
More About Panicum virgatum 'Hot Rod' (PP26074)
- Forms a tight upright clump of blue-green foliage
- Burgundy-red foliage that increases to darker tones in the late season.
- The foliage and flower turn beige-brown for the winter
- Bloom Time: Late summer to mid-fall
- Grass Type: Warm Season
- Airy Red-Burgundy flowers
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Hot Rod Switch Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
This grass grows in wide variety of soil conditions from wet to average, and is drought tolerant once established. Grows best in full sun and will flop over if grown in shade or overly rich soils. It should be pruned back to 10 cm above ground level in early spring.
Panicum virgatum 'Hot Rod' (PP26074) Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Landscape usesScreening (privacy)