Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal'
Also called Blue Switch Grass
More About Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal'
- Forms a very tight, upright, vase-shaped clump of intense metallic-blue foliage
- This is a strong, upright cultivar that does not flop, even in heavy rains
- Grass is topped with pink, airy, cloud-like panicles
- Leaves have a good, yellow, fall colour
- The foliage and flower turn beige-brown for the winter
- A good choice for the formal garden
- Bloom Time: Late summer
- Flower Height: 150 cm
- Foliage Height: 120 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Heavy Metal Switch Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
This grass grows in a wide variety of soil conditions from wet to average, and is drought tolerant, once established. Grows best in full sun and will flop over if grown in shade or overly rich soils. It should be pruned back to 10 cm above ground level in early spring.
Panicum virgatum 'Heavy Metal' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Landscape usesFoundation planting