Panicum virgatum 'Hanse Herms'
Also called Red Switch Grass
More About Panicum virgatum 'Hanse Herms'
- AKA Panicum virgatum 'Haense Herms'
- Forms a loose upright clump of arching green leaves on sturdy stems
- This grass is topped with silvery-green airy cloud-like panicles in late summer
- Leaves turn intense shades of red-orange, then burgundy in the fall
- The foliage and flower turn beige-brown for the winter
- Bloom Time: Late summer
- Flower Height: 125 cm
- Foliage Height: 100 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Hanse Herms Switch Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
This grass grows in a wide variety of soil conditions from wet to average, and is drought tolerant, once established. Grows best in full sun and will flop over if grown in shade or overly rich soils. It should be pruned back to 10 cm above ground level in early spring.
Panicum virgatum 'Hanse Herms' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall
Landscape usesRoadside planting