Panicum virgatum 'Cloud Nine'
Also called Tall Switch Grass
More About Panicum virgatum 'Cloud Nine'
- Forms a tight, upright clump of gray-green foliage, becoming vase-shaped with age
- Flat, leaf blades are 30 cm long, branching from upright stems
- Grass is topped with golden, airy, cloud-like panicles
- Leaves turn golden-yellow in the fall and tan throughout the winter
- A good choice for the formal garden
- Bloom Time: Late summer to mid-fall
- Flower Height: 200 cm
- Foliage Height: 150 cm
- Flower Size: 30 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Cloud Nine Switch Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
This grass grows in a wide variety of soil conditions from wet to average, and is drought tolerant, once established. Grows best in full sun and will flop over if grown in shade or overly rich soils. It should be pruned back to 10 cm above ground level in early spring.
Panicum virgatum 'Cloud Nine' Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average
Average to Dry Soils
Landscape usesFoundation planting