Also called Hop Hornbeam
More About Ostrya virginiana
- Upright, rounded to oval crown
- Birch-like, oval to lance-shaped, serrated, dark green leaves
- Fall foliage is pale yellow, with an early leaf drop
- Reddish-brown, male flowers and greenish, female flowers
- Hop-like seeds are present throughout the winter
- Bloom Time: April
Native to Ontario and parts of North America.
Female catkins are followed by drooping clusters of sac-like, seed-bearing pods which, as the common name suggests, somewhat resembles the fruit of hops.
Ironwood Growing and Maintenance Tips
A strong, uniform tree without any serious pests or diseases. This tree is ideal for any landscape setting and tolerant of shady areas.
Ostrya virginiana Characteristics
Moist to Average