More About Ocimum basilicum
- Erect, bushy, annual herb
- Small, white blooms
- Narrowly oval to elliptic leaves
- Bright green, semi-glossy foliage
- Highly aromatic
- Both leaves and oils are used as flavouring agents
- Bloom Time: June to frost
Leaves are used as flavouring culinary dishes.
Sweet Basil Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in an average to moist, well-drained soil, in full sun. Pinching out the flowers will encourage a bushy habit and continued leave growth. Most basil are tender annuals, which are easy to grow, but very susceptible to frost damage. Do not plant outside until the threat of frost has passed in late spring.
Ocimum basilicum Characteristics
Moist to Average