Molinia caerulea 'Strahlenquelle'
More About Molinia caerulea 'Strahlenquelle'
- Forms a compact upright clump of slightly arching narrow green leaves
- Flower spikes change to tan seeds as they age
- Open panicles rise well above the foliage
- Slender stalks give the grass an airy appearance
- Leaves turn a golden-yellow in the fall
- Bloom Time: Summer
- Flower Colour: Purple
- Flower Height: 110 cm
- Foliage Height: 60 cm
- Grass Type: Cool Season
'Strahlenquelle' means "source of rays", which may be alluding to the golden fall colours of molinia that radiate when backlit with the setting sun.
Strahlenquelle Moor Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
Molinia is slow to mature and could take 3-5 years to reach full size. Grows best in a moist, well-drained, acidic soil, in full sun to partial shade. You can trim back the dead foliage in the fall for a tidier appearance, or leave it until spring to improve winter interest and provide root protection.
Molinia caerulea 'Strahlenquelle' Characteristics
Moist to Wet Soils
Moist to Average