Molinia caerulea 'Moorflamme'
More About Molinia caerulea 'Moorflamme'
- Forms a compact upright clump of narrow green leaves
- Purple flowers on spikes change to tan-brown seeds as they age
- Open panicles rise well above the foliage
- Slender flower stalks give the grass an airy appearance
- Leaves turn a striking orange-red in the fall
- Bloom Time: July
- Flower Height: 60 cm
- Foliage Height: 30 cm
- Grass Type: Cool Season
Moor Flame Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
Molinia is slow to mature and could take 3-5 years to reach full size. Grows best in a moist, well-drained, acidic soil, in full sun to partial shade. You can trim back the dead foliage in the fall for a tidier appearance, or leave it until spring to improve winter interest and provide root protection.
Molinia caerulea 'Moorflamme' Characteristics
Moist to Wet Soils
Moist to Average
Landscape usesWoodland/woods edge