Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'
More About Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'
- Leaves arch gracefully on upright stems, forming a loose clump and have a tendency to flop with age
- Leaves have irregular horizontal bands of yellow and green, turning tan and red in the fall
- Bloom Time: September to November
- Flower Type: Feathery panicles
- Flower Colour: Coppery-pink turning silvery-white
- Flower Height: 225 cm
- Foliage Height: 150-175 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Zebra Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
Plants should be divided, in the spring, every few years, to maintain freshness. Foliage can be left standing all winter, however, it should be pruned early to mid-spring to make way for new growth.
Note: This cultivar may not flower in our region, as it needs long, hot summers to produce abundant blooms.
Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall