Miscanthus sinensis 'Yaku Jima'
Also called Yaku Jima Maiden Grass
Suitable Substitutions for Miscanthus sinensis 'Yaku Jima'
More About Miscanthus sinensis 'Yaku Jima'
- Forms a tight clump of fine, silver-green foliage with sharply serrated, arching leaves
- Foliage turns golden-tan in the fall
- This is a good cultivar for the smaller garden
- Bloom Time: September to October
- Flower Type: Feathery panicles
- Flower colour: Pink turning to silver-white
- Flower Height: 150 cm
- Foliage Height: 100-125 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Dwarf Maiden Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
Plants should be divided, in the spring, every few years, to maintain freshness. Foliage can be left standing all winter, however, it should be pruned early to mid-spring to make way for new growth.
Miscanthus sinensis 'Yaku Jima' Characteristics
Average to Dry Soils
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall