Miscanthus sinensis 'Ferner Osten'
Also called Far East Maiden Grass
Suitable Substitutions for Miscanthus sinensis 'Ferner Osten'
More About Miscanthus sinensis 'Ferner Osten'
- Short narrow green leaves arch gracefully on upright stems, forming a tight clump
- Leaf blades are not as dense along the main stems as most other miscanthus cultivars
- Foliage turns a golden-tan in the fall, remaining through the winter
- Bloom Time: September to October
- Flower Type: Feathery panicles
- Flower Colour: Reddish-purple turning to silver-white
- Flower Height: 150 cm
- Foliage Height: 100-125 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Ferner Osten Maiden Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
Plants should be divided, in spring, every few years, to maintain freshness. Foliage can be left standing all winter, however, it should be pruned early to mid-spring to make way for new growth.
Miscanthus sinensis 'Ferner Osten' Characteristics
Average to Dry Soils
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall