Miscanthus sinensis 'Dixieland'
Also called Dwarf Variegated Maiden Grass
More About Miscanthus sinensis 'Dixieland'
- M. 'Dixieland' is a dwarf form of M. 'variegatus'
- Graceful arching leaves are 2 cm wide, and variegated with green and white vertical stripes
- Foliage turns a golden-tan in the fall, remaining through the winter
- Bloom Time: September to October
- Flower Type: Feathery panicles
- Flower Colour: Pink turning to silver-white
- Flower Height: 150 cm
- Foliage Height: 100-125 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Dixieland Maiden Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
Plants should be divided, in spring, every few years, to maintain freshness. Foliage can be left standing all winter, however, it should be pruned early to mid-spring to make way for new growth.
Miscanthus sinensis 'Dixieland' Characteristics
Moist to Average
Average to Dry Soils
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall