Also called Silver Banner Grass
Suitable Substitutions for Miscanthus sacchariflorus
More About Miscanthus sacchariflorus
- Long arching green leaves are 90 cm long and 3 cm wide with a distinct silver midrib
- Foliage turns a golden colour in the fall, lasting through the winter
- Bloom Time: August to November
- Flower Type: Feathery panicles, 40 cm long
- Flower Colour: Silky-white
- Flower Height: 200-225 cm
- Foliage Height: 150-175 cm
- Grass Type: Warm Season
Warm Season Grasses: These grasses are much slower starting in the spring. They do not push new growth until temperatures warm in early to midsummer. They flower later in the summer or fall with most blooms remaining into the winter. Most warm season grasses tolerate heat, humidity and drought; some even thrive in these conditions.
Amur Silver Grass Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in a moist to wet, well-drained soil, however, if you want a tighter clump, a drier location is recommended.
Note: Miscanthus sacchariflorus has been known to be invasive, that is, escaping cultivation into disturbed, uncultivated land.
Miscanthus sacchariflorus Characteristics
Moist to Average
Moist to Wet Soils
Landscape usesRoadside planting