Malus 'Purple Gem'
More About 'Purple Gem'
- Broadly rounded to spreading habit
- Pink-red buds open to fragrant, single, pink-red flowers before the leaves emerge
- Flowers are followed by medium-sized, red crabapples
- Leaves are dark purple through the summer
- Foliage turns bronze in the fall
- Bloom Time: Spring
Purple Gem Crabapple Growing and Maintenance Tips
Use as a specimen, in small groups or mixed with other cultivars. Crabapples have visual appeal in the spring with their abundance of showy flowers. Added appeal lies in the fall and winter with their colourful fruit that is attractive to birds.
'Purple Gem' Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average
Average to Dry Soils
Flowering TimeEarly Spring