Magnolia x 'Elizabeth'#PP4145
More About Magnolia x 'Elizabeth' (PP4145)
- Pyramidal when young, maturing to a straight trunk and a rounded crown
- Fragrant, yellow flowers at the ends of twigs appear before the leaves
- Infrequent bunches of seeds,(cucumbers) are green in late summer, ripening red, drying brown
- Fallen red fruits will attract ground birds
- Oval green leaves up to 20 cm long
- Fall colour is yellow, gold and brown
- Bloom Time: March to April
- Flower Size: 7 cm
'Elizabeth' is a cross between Magnolia acuminata and Magnolia denudata.
Elizabeth Magnolia Growing and Maintenance Tips
Unlike most magnolia, which are grown as a multi-stemmed form, Elizabeth magnolia usually has a straight trunk. Grows best in a slightly acidic soil and is intolerant of drought, excessive moisture, and pollution. Any pruning should be done soon after flowering, to allow the plant enough time to reset buds for the following year.
Magnolia x 'Elizabeth' (PP4145) Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average
Average to Dry Soils