More About Lobelia cardinalis
- Spikes of scarlet-red flowers on unbranched stems
- Tubular flowers are two-lipped
- Finely toothed, narrow, dark green leaves
- Attracts butterflies and hummingbirds
- Bloom Time: July to September
- Flower Height: 125 cm
- Foliage Height: 70 cm
All parts of this plant are TOXIC.
Cardinal Flower Growing and Maintenance Tips
It will adapt well to garden conditions and can be used in moist areas, beside ponds or water features or in low wooded areas. Is known to self-seed under optimum conditions. Clumps can be divided in early spring. Provides very intense colour for the late summer garden.
Lobelia cardinalis Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average
Moist to Wet Soils
Foliage ColorGreen (dark)