Iris ensata 'Royal Robes'
Also called Woodland Iris
Suitable Substitutions for Iris ensata 'Royal Robes'
More About Iris ensata 'Royal Robes'
- AKA Iris kaempferi 'Royal Robes'
- Flat, open-faced flower
- Large, purple flowers have a bright yellow signal
- Petals are not as rounded as most other cultivars
- Up to three flower buds per stalk
- Bright green, sword-like foliage with a prominent, centre rib, 3-4 cm wide
- Bloom Time: June to July
- Flower Size: 15 cm
Japanese Water Iris Growing and Maintenance Tips
Iris ensata grow best in a rich, moist to wet soil, in full sun or partial shade. These cultivars are not tolerant of dry conditions and are best sited along wet, pond edges or streams. During the growing season, they thrive with their roots submerged, however, the water should be removed during the winter months to avoid root rot.
Iris ensata 'Royal Robes' Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Wet Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Spr-Sum