Also called Scabwort, Horseheal, Elf wort, Inula campana
More About Inula helenium
- Other common names:, Elf Dock, Else Dock, Horse Elder, Yellow Star Wort, Allicampane, Velvet Dock
- Bright yellow flowers resemble a double daisy
- Large, basal leaves, 50-80 cm, have a wavy margin
- Leaves are deep green with hairy undersides
- Bloom Time: June to August
- Flower Size: 8-10 cm
- Introduced to North America and has now widely naturalized throughout Ontario.
- The root of Inula helenium is used medicinally for treatment of respiratory disorders. The oils are extracted and have antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Elecampane Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in a moist to average, well-drained soil, in full sun to partial shade. This plant spreads by rhizomes, so allow for adequate space. May need support if planted in windy locations.
Inula helenium Characteristics
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Spr-Sum
Foliage ColorGreen (dark)
Landscape usesHerbal garden