Ilex verticillata 'Red Sprite'
Also called Red Sprite Black Alder
More About Ilex verticillata 'Red Sprite'
- Flowers are white and inconspicuous
- Large, bright red berries persist into the winter
- Dark green, glossy leaves turn yellow in the fall
- Suckering occasionally, it produces an oval shrub
- Requires 'Jim Dandy' for pollination
- Bloom Time: June to July
Red Sprite Winterberry (female) Growing and Maintenance Tips
Although winterberry will tolerate some shade, fruit production is best in sunny locations. Winterberry will tolerate a range of soil types and moistures. One, male, winterberry plant will effectively pollinate up to six, female plants.
Ilex verticillata 'Red Sprite' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Moist to Wet Soils
Foliage ColorGreen (dark)