Hydrangea macrophylla 'Lemon Wave'
More About Hydrangea macrophylla 'Lemon Wave'
- This Hydrangea is bought for its leaf
- Pink or light pink flat-topped flowers with a bluish cast rarely show
- Florets are fertile in the centre and sterile on the edges
- Variegated leaves feature green with yellow or white margins
- Upright, mounded habit
- Bloom Time: Spring through summer
Hydrangea arborescens: Blooms on new wood, prune in late winter or early spring.
Hydrangea macrophylla: Blooms on old wood, do not prune. Remove only spent flowers and dead, damaged or unsightly wood.
Hydrangea paniculata: Blooms on new wood, prune in late winter or early spring.
Hydrangea quercifolia: Blooms on old wood, do not prune. Remove only spent flowers and dead, damaged or unsightly wood.
Hydrangea serrata: Blooms on old wood, do not prune.
Lemon Wave Hydrangea Growing and Maintenance Tips
All hydrangea naturally undergo some colour change to their flowers as they age. Adjusting the pH balance of the soil (the addition of aluminium sulphate) can change the flower colour from light pink to pink in this cultivar. Most cultivars thrive in full sun to partial shade as long as they have adequate moisture and a rich, well-drained soil.
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Lemon Wave' Characteristics
Moist to Average
Landscape usesFoundation planting