Hosta 'Rare Breed'
Suitable Substitutions for Hosta 'Rare Breed'
More About 'Rare Breed'
- AKA Hosta ''Tall Paul'
- Tri-coloured leaves change with the season
- Starts off creamy-white with green margins
- The center will brighten to a crisp white
- Outer margin remains dark green and inner margin fades to army-green
- Pale lavender flowers
- Bloom Time: Mid to late summer
- Flower Height: 80 cm
- Foliage Height: 50 cm
Genus Overview: Hosta
Common Name: Plantain Lily
Growing and Maintenance Tips:
Hosta grow best in a rich, moist, well-drained soil, in partial to full shade. Early to mid-morning sun and dappled shade in the afternoon are ideal conditions for most hosta cultivars. Some are full sun tolerant, when consistent moisture is provided. Cleaning out dormant foliage in early winter will help reduce the insect population, such as slug larvae.
'Rare Breed' Characteristics
Moist to Average
Landscape usesFoundation planting