Cimicifuga ramosa 'Black Negligee'
Also called black Bugbane
Suitable Substitutions for Cimicifuga ramosa 'Black Negligee'
Cimicifuga ramosa 'Black Negligee' - Purple-leaf Bugbane - Photo courtesy of Terra Nova® Nurseries, Inc.
More About Cimicifuga ramosa 'Black Negligee'
- AKA Actaea ramosa 'Black Negligee'
- Fragrant, purple-tinted, white panicles of florets, project upwards to about 125 cm
- Deeply cut, dark purplish-black leaves; one of the darkest foliage in the genus
- Excellent in mass, also used as a specimen
- Bloom Time: Midsummer to mid-fall
- Flower Height: 125 cm
- Foliage Height: 80 cm
The odour emitted by the foliage and flower has insect repellant properties.
Purple-leaf Bugbane Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in a moist, rich, humus soil in a woodland setting. Consistent moisture is required to prevent leaf scorching. They may take several years to reach mature size and once established do not like to be disturbed.
Cimicifuga ramosa 'Black Negligee' Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Wet Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall