More About Chionanthus virginicus
- Showy fringe-like fragrant white flowers
- Clusters of bright blue to purple drupes on female plants in August
- Leathery, glossy leaves turn golden-yellow in the fall
- Variable open spreading habit
- Berries are attractive to birds
- Bloom Time: June
Chionanthus plants are polygamodioecious: having bisexual and male flowers on some plants, and bisexual and female flowers on others.
Fringetree Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in slightly acidic conditions, however, tolerates many moisture levels and soil types. Depending on the specimen, some pruning may be required to maintain shape.
Chionanthus virginicus Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Wet Soils