Also called Snakeshead
More About Chelone glabra
- AKA Chelone oblique 'Alba'
- Predominantly white flowers are sometimes tinged with pink
- Flowers are hooded and look similar to snapdragons
- Sturdy, square stems hold glossy, lance-shaped leaves, up to 10 cm in length
- Bloom Time: July to September
- Flower Size: 2.5 cm
Genus name is derived from the Greek word chelone meaning 'tortoise'.
Turtlehead Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in a moist to wet, rich, humus soil, in partial shade. Naturally found in moist meadows, along stream banks or in swamps. Chelone will benefit from a midsummer pruning to promote a more compact plant and better branching habit.
Chelone glabra Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Wet Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Sum-Fall