More About Cercidiphyllum japonicum
- Densely branched, upright to rounded crown
- Round-oval leaves emerge reddish-purple in the spring, maturing to medium green
- Fall foliage is a mix of gold, orange and red
- Tiny, red flowers are not showy
- Leaves emit an odour not unlike cotton candy, at certain times of the season
- Bloom Time: Spring
The leaf of the katsura tree resembles the leaf of a redbud tree (Cercis), hence the name Cercidiphyllum (Cercis = redbud genus and phyllon = Greek for leaf).
Katsura Tree Growing and Maintenance Tips
A graceful tree with a uniform crown. Katsura should be planted in a location protected from the sun during the heat of the day, strong winds and drought conditions. It can be grown as a specimen tree or multi-stemmed clump. A rare bonus in a tree: Cercidiphyllum prefer soils with high pH.
Cercidiphyllum japonicum Characteristics
Moist to Average