Carpinus betulus 'Frans Fontaine'
More About Carpinus betulus 'Frans Fontaine'
- Narrow, upright form with vertical branching
- Ovate, sharp-toothed, dark green leaves
- Foliage turns golden-yellow in the fall
- Attractive yellow or green catkins
- Smooth gray bark has distinctive muscle-like fluting
- Bloom Time: Early spring
Frans Fontaine Hornbeam Growing and Maintenance Tips
The narrow growth habit of this cultivar allows it to be shaped into hedges, arches or for topiary. It will also tolerate urban conditions and drought, making it a good selection for street boulevards.
Carpinus betulus 'Frans Fontaine' Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average
Average to Dry Soils
Flowering TimeEarly Spring
Landscape usesScreening (privacy)