Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata'
More About Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata'
- Narrow, upright form with vertical branching
- Ovate, sharp-toothed, medium-green leaves
- Foliage turns yellow-orange in the fall
- Attractive, yellow or green catkins
- Smooth, gray bark has distinctive, muscle-like fluting
- Bloom Time: Early spring
Pyramidal European Hornbeam Growing and Maintenance Tips
The narrow growth habit of this cultivar allows it to be shaped into hedges, arches or for topiary. It will also tolerate urban conditions and drought, making it a good selection for street boulevards. This cultivar is more upright, and denser branching than the 'Frans Fontaine' cultivar.
Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeEarly Spring