Athyrium otophorum 'Okanum'
Also called Auriculate Lady Fern
More About Athyrium otophorum 'Okanum'
- Fronds emerge a deep purple and open to a silvery-green
- Deep purple stems throughout the season
- New fronds open a whitish-green and darken as they age
- Upright, clumping habit on sturdy stems
- Colonies form by shallow, spreading rhizomes
- Great plant for brightening a shady spot
- Sun will cause the fronds to darken in colour
Eared Lady Fern Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in a rich, moist, well-drained soil in full to partial shade. Colours are more distinct in light shade. Stems can be pruned off in the fall after frost.
Athyrium otophorum 'Okanum' Characteristics
Moist to Average
Landscape usesWoodland/woods edge