Athyrium niponicum 'Red Beauty'
More About Athyrium niponicum 'Red Beauty'
- Fronds emerge from the ground in the spring a deep burgundy-purple colour
- Opening up to a silvery-green with deep purple stems and veins
- Clumping habit with a slight weeping effect
- Colonies form by shallow, spreading rhizomes
- Great plant for brightening a shady spot
- Mature colours may not show until the third year
Japanese Painted Fern Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in a rich, moist, well-drained soil in full to partial shade. Colours are more distinct in light shade. Stems can be pruned off in the fall after frost.
Athyrium niponicum 'Red Beauty' Characteristics
Moist to Average
Landscape usesWoodland/woods edge