Astilbe chinensis 'Pumila'
Also called Dwarf Chinese Astilbe
More About Astilbe chinensis 'Pumila'
- Short spikes of mauve-lilac plumes
- Deeply cut, bronze-green foliage hugs the ground
- One of the most drought tolerant astilbe
- Chinese astilbe are generally more sun tolerant
- Excellent, ground cover
- Bloom Time: June to August
- Flower Height: 25 cm
Dwarf False Spirea Growing and Maintenance Tips
Grows best in light to moderate shade, with average to moist soils. Astilbe may burn if planted in full sun. Deep shade tolerant, but will not flower as prolifically. Water plants during the summer especially if there is less than average rainfall. Extended drought periods will lead to browning of the foliage and may result in foliage drop. After flowers finish, prune off spent blooms and lightly shape the foliage to encourage new growth.
Astilbe chinensis 'Pumila' Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average
Flowering TimeLt. Spr-Sum
Landscape usesWoodland/woods edge