More About Asimina triloba
- Small low branching tree, forming a dense pyramidal rounded crown
- Cup-shaped purple flowers
- Large, slightly drooping, elliptical green leaves
- Foliage changes to a yellow colour late in the fall
- Unique fruit has the sweet flavour and fleshy consistency of a banana
- Fruit emerges green, aging yellowish and finally brown
- Bloom Time: Spring
Flavour and fleshy consistency of the sweet-flavored fruits resemble bananas. Fruits are frequently eaten raw or used in ice cream or pies, although they can produce nausea in some people. Early Americans made a yellow dye from the pulp of the ripened fruit.
Pawpaw Growing and Maintenance Tips
Pawpaw can be used to naturalize in a native planting or wild garden, or grown in a shrub border or woodland area, especially in damp areas along ponds or streams.
Asimina triloba Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Wet Soils
Moist to Average