Also called Chilian Pine
More About Araucaria araucana
- Grows in a pyramidal open habit
- Triangular leathery leaves, 5 cm long, feature terminal thorns
- Leaves are arranged in a continuous whorl around the stems
- "Ropy" branches in tiers bear few side branches
- Plants are male or female
- Seed-bearing cones up to 15 cm in diameter
Native habitat is Argentina and parts of Chile, where they are listed as threatened species.
Monkey Puzzle Tree Growing and Maintenance Tips
Monkey Puzzle is best treated as a "conservatory plant", needing to be brought indoors for the winter. Hopefully pruning is not necessary as the leaves and thorns are dangerous.
Araucaria araucana Characteristics
Average to Dry Soils