More About Ailanthus altissima
- Upright, variable, spreading, growth habit
- Yellow-green flowers are hidden by the foliage
- Compound, pinnate leaves emerge bronze, turning dark green
- Seeds (twisted samaras) are borne in clusters, persisting into the winter
- Use only where nothing else will grow
- Bloom Time: Spring
Invasive in Ontario and much of the USA, having been introduced from Asia in 1748.
Ailanthus are dioecious: there are male or female plants, rarely male AND female. The leaves, stems and especially the male flowers have an offensive odour. They are also allelopathic: producing herbicides that limit the growth of other plants around them.
Tree of Heaven Growing and Maintenance Tips
Ailanthus will tolerate heavy urban pollution and adverse conditions, including dry, rocky soils with ranges of pH.
Ailanthus altissima Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils