Acer palmatum 'Twombly's Red Sentinel'
More About Acer palmatum 'Twombly's Red Sentinel'
- Upright, dense habit, spreading somewhat with age
- Leaves emerge red in the spring, change to burgundy, then red-green in the summer
- New growth shows purple tips, contrasting with the old growth
- Brilliant pink-red colour in the fall
- Compact and columnar, compared to 'Bloodgood'
Twombly's Red Sentinel Japanese Maple Growing and Maintenance Tips
Best planted in a well-drained soil with high organic matter. Japanese maples are grown as specimen trees or multi-stemmed plants. Any pruning should be done in summer. Mulch well, but avoid heaping mulch against the stem. Most cultivars need full sun or light afternoon shade.
Acer palmatum 'Twombly's Red Sentinel' Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average