Acer palmatum 'Tsuma-gaki'
More About Acer palmatum 'Tsuma-gaki'
- Flowers are red, small and insignificant
- Medium-sized plant with dense, bushy, spreading, layered habit
- Leaves emerge medium to light green with purple-red fingernails and red petioles
- Summer colour shows green on dark green variegation
- Excellent red fall colour
- Bloom Time: Spring
Tsuma-gaki means "red fingernail" in Japanese.
Red Fingernails Japanese Maple Growing and Maintenance Tips
Best planted in a well-drained soil with high organic matter. Japanese maples are grown as specimen trees or multi-stemmed plants. Any pruning should be done in summer. Mulch well, but avoid heaping mulch against the stem. Most cultivars need full sun or light afternoon shade.
Acer palmatum 'Tsuma-gaki' Characteristics
Soil MoistureMoist to Average