Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'
Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira' - Lion's Head Japanese Maple (Fall Colour) - Photo Courtsey of Iseli Nursery
More About Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'
- Reddish-purple flowers are showy from close up
- Leaves emerge dull green in curled, gnarly tufts close to the stems
- Retains its colour well throughout the summer
- Excellent gold to crimson fall colour
- Stems are medium-green, showing well in the winter
- Dense bushy upright vase-shaped habit
- Bloom Time: Spring
Lion's Head Japanese Maple Growing and Maintenance Tips
Best planted in a well-drained soil with high organic matter. Japanese maples are grown as specimen trees or multi-stemmed plants. Any pruning should be done in summer. Mulch well, but avoid heaping mulch against the stem. Most cultivars need full sun or light afternoon shade.
Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira' Characteristics
Moist to Average