Acer palmatum 'Higasayama'
Also called Popcorn Maple
More About Acer palmatum 'Higasayama'
- AKA Acer palmatum 'Higasa yama'
- Twiggy stems bear tiny crinkled or curled variegated leaves
- Buds open to pale cream tightly curled leaflets
- Young green leaves have white markings edged in pink
- The second flush of growth reveals small, typical, palmate foliage
- Fall colour is a mixture of orange, dark yellow or red
Higasayama Japanese Maple Growing and Maintenance Tips
A showy specimen for the discerning gardener. Best planted in a well-drained soil with high organic matter. Japanese maples are grown as specimen trees or multi-stemmed plants. Any pruning should be done in summer. Mulch well, but avoid heaping mulch against the stem. Most cultivars need full sun or light afternoon shade.