Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'
More About Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'
- The benchmark in upright, large-leaved, purplish-red Japanese maples
- Retains its deep colour well throughout the summer
- Leaves somewhat larger than those of other purple forms
- Inconspicuous red flowers emerge before the leaves
- Excellent red fall colour
Bloodgood Japanese Maple Growing and Maintenance Tips
Best planted in a well-drained soil with high organic matter. Japanese maples are grown as specimen trees or multi-stemmed plants. Any pruning should be done in summer. Mulch well, but avoid heaping mulch against the stem. Most cultivars need full sun or light afternoon shade.
Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' Characteristics
Soil MoistureAverage to Dry Soils
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeEarly Spring